Feeding the Little People…and MeUntil I had the boys, I rarely had to feed other people. But when the boys started solids, I made their food (admittedly I was pretty much just steaming, mashing, cubing), and did enjoy that. (I used a food steamer and mashed things by hand when needed since it was before the pressure cooking craze!) But one of the boys is a “selective” eater and one is a terrific eater. As they got a little older, I generally fed to the lowest common denominator – which often resulted in microwaved chicken nuggets or pizza. That meant that I also ended up picking at those crappy foods instead of making myself a “real” meal. Sometimes I’d try to make something for the great eater and me, and feed the selective one whatever he’d eat. I was not jazzed about making multiple meals for us.
Instant Pot to the Rescue!When I ordered my Instant Pot about a year and a half ago, I could not WAIT to make all the delicious recipes I saw all over Social Media. I was cautiously optimistic that we would be eating more healthy meals with it. So many amazing recipes exist out there and I tried lots of them on my awesome eater and me. There were some mixed results. I’m not terribly culinarily creative, but started experimenting some and have had some luck! This Instant Pot Chicken, Veggies and Quinoa dish is one of our favorites! It freezes great and we pretty much always have it in the freezer! I hope you love it! (Note: I have the 5qt Instant Pot, which I don’t think is made anymore. You can adjust quantities as needed for your family and pot size!)
Easy One-Pot Chicken, Veggies & Quinoa - Pressure Cooker
- 6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Stock I use Better Than Bouillon
- 1/2 cup Quinoa, Rinsed
- 1/4 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (can substitute Low Sodium Soy Sauce)
- 1/8 cup Sugar Free Honey Yes! It exists!
- 2 bags Frozen Mixed Vegetables (Peas, Carrots, Corn) I use the 12oz Store Brand bags
- 1 Tbsp Seasoning Salt rubbed on chicken
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rub Chicken Thighs with Seasoning Salt
- Add all ingredients to your Instant Pot
- Put the lid on and seal the Vent Valve.
- Using Manual Setting, set for 10 minutes (add time if using frozen chicken)
- Manual or Natural Release. I tend to Natural Release.
- You can either shred the chicken and place back into the pot, OR scoop out the breasts whole (they will be on the bottom) and serve one per person with the rest of the dish. They will fall apart easily, so scoop out with a large serving spoon!
- Add time if using frozen chicken.
- I tend to let mine natural release, which is about 10 minutes, but you can release the pressure manually if you'd like.
- I've made this with different vegetables (cauliflower, no corn, etc) to lower the carb content. I've found that I prefer it with corn and it really doesn't add that many carbs.
- I've also made this dish without the Quinoa, but it is a bit heartier with it. You could substitute rice (I have not tried it).